Monday, May 4, 2009

Ethnography considered harmful

So I recently read the controversial paper about ethnographies being considered harmful and I have to say that I couldn't really understand the argument. I understand that the reason this was accepted into CHI was so that the experts could blow it out of the water but why does CHI feel like it needs to address every loon out there who thinks the techniques are a waste. I could understand maybe if it was Don Norman or some other CHI hot shot causing the stir but it's not. It seems like CHI has some security issues or something and isn't comfortable with itself. I dunno...

1 comment:

  1. Haha, you and me both. The paper was a hard read and I think I got the general idea. It seems that they're saying the way their doing ethnographies are harmful and not the concept itself.

    ReplyDelete