Monday, May 4, 2009

Fitts's Law

So after reading the paper regarding Fitts's Law, I gained a lot of insight on how efficient design is accomplished for mouse based/touch based applications. The idea behind Fitts's Law is this: closer and bigger is faster. :-) Fitts's Law tends to favor objects that are at the edge of the screen are easier to get to because you can just fling the mouse in no time to get to the edge. Also, the magic of pie menus was revealed to me. I think it is interesting that I don't know of any GUI framworks that even offer a pie menu. I wonder what the reason behind that. If it is indeed more efficient, I would expect a company like Apple to implement a version in Cocoa since it is apparent that they know a thing or two about Fitts's Law because their Dock is a shining example of Fitts in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment